What's Cookin?

Friday, April 23, 2010

To Skirt or Strip??


Right here, it writing I will admit I am a steak purist. I actually cringe when I hear people ask for A-1 steak sauce. Why would you put that on a lovely cow? What did it do to you? I also have a whole thing about cooking a steak to well-done, but let's offend only one type of reader per blog!

Growing up, Saturday nights were "steak night". Dad would set up the grill and fuss over the steak like a baby. I have continued this tradition to this day. Were he alive today, I would love to cook him a steak. I pride myself on the charred crust of the outside and perfect pink inside (ok, red..but only for my daughter and myself). I have always stuck to sirloin or NY Strip because of the thicker cut and was sure that any other cut was beneath me!

Until the butcher told me about skirt steak.

I was making fajitas one night and was about to buy flank when my grocer's butcher told me that skirt steak was better. It cooks quick and you should trim the fat off before you grill but the flavor was incredible. I started to actually think that this could be a good piece for Saturdays!

When a friend introduced me to churrasco which had a green chimichurri sauce you spooned over. Being a purist, I wrinkled my nose but not wanting to insult them, I tried it.

Um, HEA-VEN!

The green chimichurri sauce is really more like a pesto and who doesn't like pesto! You don't need a lot of it to get the garlicky flavor that goes incredibly well with the moist skirt steak. I spoon some on and spread it like across the steak so that each bite has some sauce.

The steak is pretty easy. I usually will buy a package of 2 or 3 strips..about a pound and a half. For a rub, I will use some olive oil and taco seasoning. If I don't have a packet of that..Cumin, salt and pepper will do.

I heat the grill to about 400. I like the hot and quick method. You cook the steak very hot for a nice char and it cooks about 5 minutes per side for medium rare but it really varies by the thickness of your steak. I use a gas grill so the hottest part of the fire is in the back middle. The thickest part of the steak is laid there with the thinner side pointed toward the front of the grill which runs cooler on mine.

After grilling, remove and loosely cover with foil and allow meat to rest. For years, I was always in a rush to eat the steak while it was fresh off the grill but all the lovely moisture poured out of the meat and onto the plate. Now I have learned a little patience lets the trapped liquid be reabsorbed back into the tissue and that makes for better meat.

Slice the steak against the grain with your knife at a 30 degree angle for nice, mouthful bites. Top with the chimichurri sauce and enjoy


Parsley Chimichurri

6 cloves garlic
3 bay leaves
2 jalapeño chiles,
with seeds, coarsely chopped
1-1/2 tablespoons salt
1/2 cup finely minced fresh curly parsley
1/2 cup fresh finely minced flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup fresh finely minced oregano
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil


1. To make the chimichurri, combine the garlic, bay leaves, jalapeños, and salt in a mortar and mash with a pestle until a smooth paste is formed (or you can purée with a small amount of vinegar in a blender). Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the parsleys and oregano. Whisk in the vinegar and olive oil until well combined. Set aside.

1 comment:

  1. Try using cilantro instead of parsley for the chumichurri. Sooooo soooo good!

    ReplyDelete