What's Cookin?

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Pincha?




My cooking style is more "little bit of this..little pincha that"..thus the name of the blog.





Take last night - I had some frozen portabella mushroom ravioli in the freezer from the local small grocer. I love anything with mushrooms. I don't need fancy baby bella or shiiatake. Plain white buttons work for me. So I sauteed up some mushrooms and a bit of red onion in herb butter and tossed with the ravioli. For color I added a handful of spring greens and diced up a tomato. Top with a hard cheese and serve.

Easy, quick and while not super healthy, I am a firm believer in portion control. It has helped me lose over 70lbs in the last 3 years and still eat all the food I love. One of my tricks is to serve on a salad plate. That is why the pictures look like the plate is full. There are only 3 ravioli on my plate, but it looks full..Jedi mind trick, see??!!

My receipes aren't always exact. I go by look and taste and very often I will change it depending on what is in the pantry. Last night I had spring mix for greens, another night I might have baby spinach. I am not afraid to experiment because really, that is the fun of cooking..seeing what tastes good and how I can make it better!


Mushroom Ravioli

1 pk frozen mushroom ravioli (or cheese filled if you like)
1 pat herb butter (Kerry Gold Irish Herb Butter)
handful of thin sliced red onion
splash of red wine
splash of heavy cream (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
spring mix salad or any dark greens
tomato diced

Cook ravioli according to package directions. Drain reserving one cup of pasta water.

In large saute pan or skillet, melt butter and begin browning onions over medium heat. When they start to turn translucent, add mushrooms and cook with wine.
I watch the mushrooms, if they start to look dry, I will add pasta water to keep the mushrooms tender.
Salt and pepper mushrooms and if you like a creamy sauce, add about a tbsp of heavy cream or half and half and stir.

Add ravioli to mushrooms and toss gently so as not to break them open. Add a handful of spring mix and heat until the greens wilt.

Plate and top with fresh, diced tomatoes and a hard cheese like Parmigiana or Romano

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious...and totally full of carbs :( Haha, I'm going to save this recipe for a special occassion though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy!!! I'll have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete