What's Cookin?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mo-ROCKIN Style Chicken



Ok..Moroccan..but I am trying to be funny. Not working, huh?

This was a recipe I found that called for pork tenderloin but I had shrimp and chicken so I thought I would try that. It also calls for it to be served on flatbread but I wasn't feelin it, so I served it over jasmine herb rice and it was amazing.

It is a pretty easy recipe and you could do the sauce a day ahead and refrigerate if you wanted. It calls for being made in a blender, but my hubby got me this great Cuisinart immersion blender for Christmas and I threw everything in the cup and blended it up. Very simple!

I am going to post the recipe as is..at the bottom, I will include the substitution for you. I made this again last night and I think if you make the sauce a day ahead, the flavors really marry nice. It is quick and I had dinner done in the 45 minutes it took to steam the rice..that includes cleaning the shrimp and slicing the chicken.

Moroccan Style Flatbread
1 red pepper
2/3 cup + 1/3 cup cilantro (coarsely chopped)
1 pork tenderloin (about 1 lb)*
3/4 cup fresh pre-diced red onions, divided
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon water
Pinch crushed red pepper (optional)
2 naan or flat breads (regular or garlic flavor)
Cooking spray
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 oz fat-free light Key lime yogurt**

Prep
•Cut one-half of red pepper into bite-size pieces (2/3 cup).
•Chop cilantro.
•Cut pork lengthwise, turn and slice evenly into thin strips (wash hands).


Steps

1.Place red peppers, 2/3 cup cilantro, 1/2 cup onions, 1/4 cup oil, paprika, cumin, garlic, tomato paste, water, and crushed red pepper into blender; blend until smooth.
2.Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Coat bread with cooking spray; cook 1 minute on each side or until golden and crispy. Repeat with remaining bread. (Or heat bread following package instructions.)
3.Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Season pork with salt and pepper then place in pan with 1 tablespoon oil; cook and stir 3–4 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
4.Reduce heat to low and add sauce; cook 1–2 minutes or until warmed. Top each flatbread with pork mixture. Stir 1/4 cup onions into yogurt; spoon lightly over top of pork. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cilantro. Cut into wedges or quarters and serve.

CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 530 kcal; FAT 26g; CHOL 80mg; SODIUM 710 mg; CARB 41g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 32g; VIT A 45%; VIT C 70%; CALC 15%; IRON 20% - Info will change if you use the shrimp and chicken and omit the flatbread!

Jasmine Herb Rice

2c cooked jasmine rice,
1 tbsp butter
1/4 c chopped cilantro
1 tsp fresh dill chopped

Prepare the rice as instructed on packaging. I use a steamer to make my rice. It is easy to set it and move on and not worry about over cooking. Stir in butter and add chopped cilantro and dill.

Note - I used about a pound of chicken breast sliced into strips and about a half a pound of cleaned and shelled shrimp. Cook in the pan as you would the pork ..allow chicken to become white and shrimp to turn pink. 
Pour all but 1/4 cup of the sauce over the meat and heat on low. Just before serving, stir in the remainder of sauce and serve.

** I thought I posted this..but I don't see it -
I did not care for the Key Lime yogurt..I didn't use fat-free, I used Yoplait regular Key Lime Pie flavor but it was too tangy and just "off". My husband and I agree that it took away from the dish so when I made it last night, I did not use the yogurt..

2 comments:

  1. This looks pretty good!! The only thing I would change is the fat-free yogurt since I don't do aspartame. Thanks for another great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda - sorry..I made a note about not being crazy about the yogurt, but it doesn't look like it made the edit. I just added it.

    I wasn't crazy about the yogurt..just didn't "do it" for me.

    ReplyDelete