What's Cookin?

Thursday, April 15, 2010

"Gardeny" Pasta E Fagioli -


Believe it or not, it gets cold in Florida. Ok, I hear you people living in the snow, but it does! I am always looking for comfort meals that can be made quick after work and when I found this copycat soup online, it was perfect.

If you want to cut your prep time, buy the pre-diced onions and celery in the produce dept. Our grocery has them in appox. 6 or 7 oz containers but if they are a little short or over, it is soup..no one is going to notice. I also buy the matchstick carrots because they are so easy to just toss in.
I suppose if you have a mandolin, you could do it yourself, but my mandolin and I have a love/hate relationship..It loves to slice my fingers and I hate that I always need a band aid after I use it!

The beef stock I prefer to use is Kitchen Basics and it comes in a 32oz foil box. Ya know what? I don't sweat it..the recipe calls for 44..but I am not buying another container. See how I roll? The vegetables have enough moisture to make up for it and if not, you can always add a bit of water. I have never had a problem with the soup but if you like it more liquidy, go with your gut. I also use Dilanti pasta, which is a short tube like pasta, but you can use elbow or whatever you prefer.

The picture above was taken a day or two after I made the soup and that is why the pasta is so big and more chunky. It does reheat beautifully, but the pasta will absorb the liquid and it becomes more of a stew.

Pasta E Fagioli

1.5 teaspoons Oil
1 pound Ground beef
6 ounces Onion; chopped
7 ounces Carrots; julienned
7 ounces Celery; diced
24 ounces Tomatoes; canned, diced
1 can cooked Red Kidney beans
1 can cooked White kidney (Cannellini)beans
44 ounces Beef stock
1.5 teaspoons Oregano
1 teaspoons Pepper
3 teaspoons Parsley; (fresh chopped)
Tabasco sauce to taste
26 ounces Spaghetti sauce
4 ounces dry dilanti pasta; or other pasta
Parmasan Cheese for topping

Directions:

Preparation: Sauté beef in oil in large 10-qt. pot until beef starts to brown. Add onions, carrots, celery and tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse beans and add to the pot. Also add beef stock, oregano, pepper, Tabasco, spaghetti sauce, and noodles. Add chopped parsley. Simmer until celery and carrots are tender, about 45 minutes. Makes 5 qts. of soup! You can double it to make big pot of soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment