What's Cookin?

Monday, January 24, 2011

Good Gravy..it's Sauce!

There is an entire debate that I was never aware of being raised by a southern mama.

Gravy vs. Sauce when talking about Spaghetti Sauce.

When I was growing up, my mother made Ragu. Giant jar..if we were lucky, she would brown some ground beef and put that in too. Don't blame her..there wasn't many Italians in the backwoods of Northwest Alabama.

When I had my own home, I too went to the Ragu jar for spaghetti..it's good, right? Hahah Little did my taste buds know. There is good stuff that you can make..yourself!

Now, my Italian friend, please don't hate. I am giving an easy instructions. I have not tried the stewing of the tomatoes and crushing in a mill to make my own base. This is an idiots guide...Me being the idiot!

I started making my own "sauce" by watching Food Network and listening to Giada talk about it and I tweaked and tested. I realized I prefer a "gravy" which is red sauce that has been cooked with meat. Sometimes I throw in meatballs, sometimes sausage. Today's receipe is for a sausage based gravy. I like calling it gravy..I feel very Italian saying "sunday gravy" but then I get my friends saying things like *heavy boston accent* "It's sauce..whadda talwking a'baut!!"

So, whatever you prefer to call it..here is my latest tweak on Sunday Red Gravy


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 sweet onion
2 garlic cloves minced
1lb Italian sausage casings removed
28-ounce can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
6-ounce can tomato paste
2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 c chopped fresh basil leaves (i stack the leaves, roll and cut ribbons or chiffonade)
1 1/2 tspn kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper



Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. careful not to scorch. Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium -low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.
I simmer on low for several hours..I cover but vent the pot so it doesnt get watery

No comments:

Post a Comment